UW Immigration

Co-op work permit

If you have graduated from a DLI and wish to remain in Canada temporarily for work purposes, you may be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
The completion of a DLI does not guarantee acceptance into the PGWP. You may see which colleges provide qualifying majors by consulting the DLI database.

Eligible to apply

Work experience is a required component of the curriculum in some academic programs. If you satisfy all of the following requirements, you may apply for a co-op or intern work permit:
  • Your permit to study abroad is current.
  • In order to finance your education in Canada, you will need to find employment.
  • You have a letter from your university stating that all students in your program are required to participate in internships as part of the requirements for graduation.
  • There is no more than a half-time commitment to your co-op or internship.

Permission to work off-campus and in co-ops

Co-op work permits may not be required between November 15, 2022, and December 31, 2023. In order to finish your co-op placement, you will not need a co-op work visa if you satisfy all of the following requirements:
  • You hold a current study permit, and our office received your study permit application on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Your right to hold off-campus employment is evidenced by your study permit.
  • Working more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session is a perk to which you are entitled.
  • By the end of 2023, your co-op stint will have come to a conclusion.
Scroll to Top