UW Immigration

Family Sponsorship

The Process

Your family can join you in Canada as permanent residents if you qualify to “sponsor” them. In order to sponsor them, you need to make sure that you can

To whom could you offer sponsorship

Anyone legally dependent on you, such as a spouse, common-law partner, children, or even parent, can get a sponsorship from you.

Eligibility criteria to sponsor your legal spouse

Sponsoring your common-law partner

A common law partner can only be the person who is not your spouse legally, is at least 18 years old, and has been your live-in companion for at least 12 months without a break of more than 6 months either way.

Who is a common law partner?

Common law partner is someone living with for at least 12 months, which means you’ve been living together for one year or more that too without any long periods apart.
We will consider the relationship to be finished if you or your common-law partner discontinues it. Also, you are bound to provide us with valid proof of your relationship.

Sponsoring dependent children

Children who meet both of the following criteria are considered dependents:

  • They are under the age of 22
  • Not married or living in a common-law relationship
Dependent status can be granted to a child who is 22 or older if they meet both of the following conditions:
  • Individuals have relied on their parents for financial help before the age of 22 since they cannot work due to a mental or physical disability.
  • Your dependent kid, with the exception of age, must maintain these qualifications while your application is being processed. Therefore, considering these scenarios, if a child above 22 qualifies to be dependent, you can sponsor him/her.

Sponsoring your spouse and your child

In order to sponsor your spouse and your child:

  • You will list your spouse or partner as the principal applicant and the child as a dependant on the application if you sponsor them and their child or a child you have had together.
  • If the sponsored child has a child of their own, you must list the grandchild on the application as a dependent.

Eligibility criteria for people you are sponsoring

Your spouse or partner, dependent children, and their dependent children (if applicable) must present the following evidence of eligibility:

  • Valid medical records
  • Fingerprints
  • Other identifying information,
  • All the forms and documents we may seek throughout the processing

Inadmissible individuals cannot be sponsored for entry into Canada, and that means they can’t enter Canada under any circumstances

Scroll to Top