UW Immigration

Post Graduate work permit-after graduation

If you have graduated from a DLI and wish to remain in Canada temporarily for work purposes, you may be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
The completion of a DLI does not guarantee acceptance into the PGWP. You may see which colleges provide qualifying majors by consulting the DLI database.

Those whose passports will expire before their PGWP

If your passport is due to expire sooner
  • We will only give you a PGWP that is good until your passport expires, and if you need to renew your passport, we will let you know.
  • In most cases, we’ll direct you to submit an application for a PGWP extension. If this occurs, you must submit a written request to have your PGWP extended so that it remains in effect for the correct amount of time.

If your PGWP has run out or is about to,

There is a new public policy that allows anyone whose PGWP has expired or will expire between September 20, 2021, and December 31, 2023, to apply for an open work permit that can be valid for up to 18 months. You need to check your qualifications for this possible open work permit.
Scroll to Top